|Barney Home Video|
|The Backyard Show|
|Release Date||August 29th, 1988|
|Available on DVD||No|
|Written by|| Frank H. Olsen|
|Directed by||Jon Grable|
The Backyard Show is the first video in the Barney & The Backyard Gang series as well as the beginning of the Barney franchise. It was originally released on August 29th, 1988.
Amy and Michael want to surprise their dad for his birthday. With the Backyard Gang in doubt, there's no way the show can be produced quickly (or, so they think). Fortunately, Barney the Dinosaur comes to life, and encourages the kids to use their imaginations to help make the show a reality. Along the way, they sing songs and recite rhymes that are later sung in the birthday show. The show ends up to be a success with Dad doing the "Hokey Pokey".
Educational Theme: Working Together and Doing Things for Others
- Barney Theme Song
- I Love You
- Hey, Hey, The Gang's All Here
- I Love You (Reprise)
- Bumpin' Up and Down
- Six Little Ducks
- Baby Bumblebee
- Humpty Dumpty
- Hickory Dickory Dock
- This Little Piggy
- If You're Happy and You Know It
- Hello, Hello, Hello
- I've Been Working on the Railroad
- Little Bunny Foo Foo
- For He's a Jolly Good Fellow
- Hokey Pokey
Cast of Characters
- Barney (David Voss (costume), Bob West (voice)) (debut)
- Michael (Brian Eppes) (debut)
- Luci (Leah Gloria) (debut)
- Amy (Becky Swonke) (debut)
- Adam (Alexander Jhin) (debut)
- Jason (Salim Grant) (debut)
- Tina (Jessica Zucha) (debut)
- Michael & Amy's Mom (Sandy Duncan) (debut)
- Michael & Amy's Dad (Bob Reed) (debut)
- In the original script,
- Michael was originally named Billy
- Amy was originally named Annie
- The opening scene was the entire Backyard Gang watching and marching to a televised parade.
- The song Friends Are Forever (which was sung in the following video) is heard as an underscore when Michael and Amy find Barney after he turns back into a toy dinosaur.
- At the end of the original version of the video, as The Lyons Group logo plays, a toy piano is heard playing the first three notes of "This Old Man" (which was used as the melody for "I Love You") then Sandy Duncan singing, "Love you!" This is the only video to feature a different version of The Lyons Group logo music.
- Michael and Amy's mom's shirt is red at the beginning, but lavender for the rest.
- This is one of the few videos/episodes with a large amount of animation during songs 8-10.
- First video to have the Sandy Duncan intro and outro speeches.
- First video to have the Kids Edutainment Video logo.
- This is the first time where time laspe is used: Barney and the Backyard Gang get their costumes ready for the stage.
- A screenshot of a page from the original script can be found here.