|Barney & Friends Episode|
|The Alphabet Zoo|
|Season 2, Episode 16|
|Air date||October 18, 1993|
|Written by||Mark S. Bernthal|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
An Adventure in Make-Believe
Having Tens of Fun!
Barney and the kids decide to turn their classroom into a pretend zoo. They add animals with names starting with all the different letters of the alphabet. They make masks and pretend to be different animals as they play several animal games. The highlight is when Julie's Aunt Molly stops by for a visit and tells a wonderful story about a boy and a hopping rabbit. Also, Jason tells Barney "I Love You" in sign language.
Educational Theme: The Alphabet and Zoo Animals.
- Barney (Body: David Joyner, Voice: Bob West)
- Derek (Rickey Carter)
- Tina (Jessica Zucha)
- Shawn (John David Bennet, II)
- Julie (Susannah Wetzel)
- Jason (Kurt Dykhuizen) (debut)
- Aunt Molly (Mary Ann Brewer)
- Barney Theme Song
- Animals in Motion
- Down By the Station
- Sally the Camel
- My Aunt Came Back
- The Tiger Song
- The Alphabet Song
- The Alphabet Chant
- I Love You
- This episode marks the first appearance of Jason. He would become a regular cast member in Season 3.
- This marks the last regular appearance of Tina. They also were special guests from the episode, "On the Move" along with Derek.
- This is the only time Derek and Tina appear with Jason.
- This episode is featured the exclusive Blockbuster Video Barney's Island Safari (along with Let's Go to the Zoo and Imagination Island).
- Despite this being Jason's first appearance, his hearing aid is never mentioned.
- Part of "I Love You" is performed in American Sign Language.
- A picture from this episode would later be seen in the season 3 Episode On the Move.
- In the Spanish version, My Aunt Came Back was not sung.
- This is Zippity the Hamster's last appearance.