|Barney & Friends Episode|
|The Alphabet Zoo|
|Season 2, Episode 16|
|Air date||October 18, 1993|
|Written by||Mark S. Bernthal|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
An Adventure in Make Believe
Having Tens of Fun!
Barney and the kids decide to turn their classroom into a pretend zoo. They add animals with names starting with all the different letters of the alphabet. They make masks and pretend to be different animals as they play several animal games. The highlight is when Julie's Aunt Molly stops by for a visit and tells a wonderful story about a boy and a hopping rabbit. Also, Jason tells Barney "I Love You" in sign language.
Educational Theme: The Alphabet and Zoo Animals.
For the transcript of the episode see The Alphabet Zoo (transcript).
- Barney (Body: David Joyner, Voice: Bob West)
- Derek (Rickey Carter)
- Tina (Jessica Zucha)
- Shawn (John David Bennet, II)
- Julie (Susannah Wetzel)
- Jason (Kurt Dykhuizen) (debut)
- Aunt Molly (Mary Ann Brewer)
- Barney Theme Song
- Animals in Motion
- Down By the Station
- Sally the Camel
- My Aunt Came Back
- The Tiger Song
- The Alphabet Song
- The Alphabet Chant
- I Love You
- In the dubbed versions, My Aunt Came Back, The Alphabet Song and The Alphabet Chant were cut.
- This episode marks:
- The first appearance of Jason. He would become a regular cast member in Season 3.
- The final regular appearance of Tina. She would later return in "On the Move".
- The only time Derek and Tina appear with Jason.
- The only time Tina appears with Shawn wearing glasses.
- The final appearance of Zippity the Hamster.
- Part of "I Love You" is performed in American Sign Language.
- A picture from this episode would later be seen in the season 3 Episode On the Move.