Season 4 of Barney & Friends aired from November & December 1997.
|1||69||"First Day of School"||Stephen White||Steven Feldman||November 17, 1997|
|Barney and the kids show Stephen around the classroom before the first day of school. Meanwhile, Scooter McNutty and Miss Etta Kette help Baby Bop form her own school.|
|2||70||"Is Everybody Happy?"||Perri Verdino-Gates||Fred Holmes||November 18, 1997|
| Barney helps the kids prepare for the school carnival. But when Baby Bop breaks Chip's tower for the carnival, they both learn the importance of friends dealing with negative emotions.
New Songs: I Can See It on Your Face
|3||71||"Pennies, Nickels, Dimes"||Mitch Lobrovich||Steven Feldman||November 19, 1997|
|The kids save up money to buy another goldfish. Stephen hunts for his missing quarter.|
|4||72||"We've Got Rhythm"||Stephen White||Fred Holmes||November 20, 1997|
| BJ's loud drum leads to a discussion on rhythm. Barney's friend Marvin Johnson and his daughter Mica perform a Native American dance to show how rhythm is used in dance.
New Songs: Listen When People Talk
|5||73||"Tick Tock Clocks!"||Mark S. Bernthal||Steven Feldman||November 21, 1997|
|After Baby Bop is late to meet up with BJ in the treehouse, Barney and the kids help Baby Bop learn to tell time. Dr. TickTock stops by the school to make a special watch for Baby Bop.|
|6||74||"Waiting for Mr. MacRooney"||Donna Cooner||Fred Holmes||November 24. 1997|
|Robert is waiting for a special delivery in the mail. To help pass the time, Barney takes the kids to his bakery to decorate some cookies.|
|7||75||"Let's Build Together"||Perri Verdino-Gates||Steven Feldman||November 25, 1997|
|After observing a construction site, the kids are inspired to erect their own building. When BJ makes building plans too big, the kids help him realize that teamwork makes work easier and much more fun.|
|8||76||"It's Tradition"||Perri Verdino-Gates||Fred Holmes||November 26, 1997|
| The kids share their own family traditions. They make family flags and go camping. Stella stops by to tell a story about a special family quilt.
New Songs: It's a Family Tradition
|9||77||"A Picture of Health"||Mark S. Bernthal & Mitch Lobrovich||Steven Feldman||November 27, 1997|
|Hannah's allergies and Scooter's cold leads the group to discuss the importance of staying healthy. Barney sets up a make-believe doctor's office in the treehouse.|
|10||78||"Play Ball!"||Stephen White||Fred Holmes||November 28, 1997|
|The kids can not figure out how to put together a complex robot toy. Barney brings out his vendo-ball machine to show the kids the greatest simple toy of all: the ball.|
|11||79||"A Different Kind of Mystery"||Donna Cooner||Steven Feldman||December 1, 1997|
|A mysterious noise from the classroom prompts Barney and the kids to investigate and figure out who it is. Along the way, the kids learn that each of them are different and special.|
|12||80||"Going on a Bear Hunt"||Perri Verdino-Gates||Fred Holmes||December 2, 1997|
| It's Animal Adventures Week at school. The kids bring their favorite teddy bears. But when Stephen's bear goes missing, Barney and his friends help him find it.
New Songs: It's C-C-C-Cold BRRRR!
|13||81||"Let's Eat"||Heidi B. Kirby||Steven Feldman||December 3, 1997|
| Barney and the kids set up a pretend fancy restaurant to help Robert practice his manners.
New Songs: The Yum Yum Song
|14||82||"Tree-Mendous Trees"||Stephen White||Fred Holmes||December 4, 1997|
| Curtis is feeling sad because his friends are making fun of him for playing a tree in the school play. Barney teaches the group about the beneficial resources of trees.
New Songs: Way Up in a Tree
|15||83||"Good, Clean Fun!"||Perri Verdino-Gates||Steven Feldman||December 5, 1997|
|Hannah is getting ready for a sleepover at her aunt's house. Barney helps the kids develop good hygiene. From brushing teeth to taking baths, keeping clean and healthy can be fun.|
|16||84||"Easy, Breezy Day!"||Stephen White||Steven Feldman||December 8, 1997|
| Barney teaches the kids all about wind. Chip and Curtis make small sailboats in the classroom. With a little imagination, Barney takes all of his friends on a hot air-balloon ride.
New Songs: Why
|17||85||"All Mixed Up"||Troy Charles||Fred Holmes||December 9, 1997|
|When outdoor picnic plans are ruined by a rainstorm, Barney helps the kids prepare an indoor picnic. Meanwhile, Stephen is attempting to make lemonade, but has trouble getting the taste just right. Barney teaches him that following directions is the key to success.|
|18||86||"Oh, Brother...She's My Sister"||Mark S. Bernthal||Steven Feldman||December 10, 1997|
| After Baby Bop and BJ vow to never speak to each other again, Barney and his friends help them realize the delights of having a sibling.
New Songs: Books Are Fun!
|19||87||"Once a Pond a Time"||Donna Cooner||Fred Holmes||December 11, 1997|
|Kristen moves her frog to the temporary pond out on the playground. The kids learn all about the different types of animals and plants that inhabit ponds.|
|20||88||"E-I-E-I-O"||Stephen White||Steven Feldman||December 12, 1997|
|Barney takes the kids to Hannah's Grandparents farm to acquire a jug of milk to go along with their peanut butter sandwich snack. On the farm, they learn all about the different types of animals as well as the process milk goes through before being shipped to stores.|
Cast & Crew
- Barney (Body: David Joyner/Josh Martin/Maurice Scott, Voice: Bob West) [20/20]
- Baby Bop (Body: Jeff Ayers, Voice: Julie Johnson) [9/20]
- BJ (Body: Jeff Brooks/Adam Brown, Voice: Patty Wirtz) [10/20]
- Robert (Angel Velasco) [9/20]
- Stephen (Chase Gallatin) [9/20]
- Hannah (Marisa Kuers) [8/20]
- Kim (Erica Rhodes) [8/20]
- Ashley (Monet Chandler) [7/20]
- Kristen (Sara Hickman) [7/20]
- Chip (Lucien Douglas) [6/20]
- Curtis (Monte Black) (debut) [5/20]
- Jeff (Austin Ball) (debut) [5/20]
- Keesha (Mera Baker) [5/20]
- Danny (Jeffrey Hood) (debut) [4/20]
- Maria (Jessica Hinojosa) [3/20]
- Alissa (Maurie Chandler) [2/20]
- Scooter McNutty (voiced by Todd Duffey) (debut) [20/20]
- Miss Etta Kette (voiced by Brice Armstrong) (debut) [19/20]
- Sheryl Stamps Leach
- Dennis DeShazer
- Stephen White
- Mark S. Bernthal
- Perri Verdino-Gates
- Mitch Lobrovich
- Donna Cooner
- Heidi B. Kirby
- Troy Charles
- Fred Holmes
- Steven Feldman
- Penny Wilson (Performance Director)
- Jim Rowley (Supervising Producer)
- Ben Vaughn (Senior Consulting Producer)
- Linda Houston (Consulting Producer)
- Jeff Gittle
- Joe Phillips/Joseph Phillips
- Marvin Johnson (We've Got Rhythm)
- Mica Johnson (We've Got Rhythm)
- Ted Davey (played Dr. Tick Tock in Tick Tock Clocks!)
- Sam LaCroix (played Mateo in Waiting for Mr. MacRooney)
- D. Day (played Mr. MacRooney in Waiting for Mr. MacRooney)
- Tomie dePaola (Oh, Brother...She's My Sister)
- Patsy Goldwater (played Grammy Johannson in E-I-E-I-O)
- This season marks:
- The final season in which Sheryl Leach serves as an executive producer.
- The first appearances of Curtis, Jeff, Danny, Scooter McNutty, and Miss Etta Kette
- The first season in which Joe Phillips serves as the show's music director.
- The only season in which every episode contains at least one new Barney song.
- The first season in which Stella's stories are acted out by the kids while Stella narrates them.
- After being extras from the previous season; Stephen, Kristen, Ashley, Alissa, Kim, and Maria become regular cast members.
- This season also marks the start of Barney and Friends' Second Era (July 8, 1997)
- The school, playground, and treehouse all get updated:
- The school doors change from orange to green; the windows have a green trim rather than white; and it now has a wheelchair ramp.
- Unlike previous seasons, the classroom is no longer arranged by "centers".
- The playground gets more plants, and a red bench surrounds a tree. The fences have also changed to green rail fences.
- The treehouse also gets renovated. In the back of the treehouse, there is a huge round table and a ship wheel. In the front of the treehouse, there are benches that look out to the outside deck of the treehouse.
- In addition, a lookout is added to the treehouse. There are stairs that lead up to the look out, and a slide that connects from the lookout to the back of the treehouse.
- A new Barney doll is introduced and the sparkles and the twinkle wink are the only two things that have unchanged until Season 7.
- Josh Martin performed the Barney costume from Tree-Mendous Trees to E-I-E-I-O, except for All Mixed Up (which Maurice Scott performed Barney), and in the home video It's Time for Counting.
- Unlike previous seasons, the credits for this season only feature characters that appeared in the specific episode and not the entire cast.
- Unlike previous seasons, the theme song for this season was edited after all 20 episodes were filmed.
- The names on the cubbies in the classroom from left to right are: Alissa, Ashley, Keesha, Robert, Stephen, Hannah, Chip, Kim, David, Maria, Dennis, and Kristen.
- New end credit music is introduced this season.
- This Season was taped at The Studios at Las Colinas in Irving, Texas and will continue to be filmed at the studio until Season 6.