|Barney & Friends Episode|
|Playing It Safe|
|Season 1, Episode 3|
|Air date||April 8, 1992|
|Written by||Stephen White|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
My Family's Just Right for Me
Hop to It!
After the kids play "Three Little Monkeys", Barney and the gang learn all sorts of important safety rules. They even put on a play of "Little Red Riding Hood" to teach Baby Bop about strangers. Later, when Barney slips on a toy and bruises his tail, the gang learns about cleaning up their toys after they're finished playing with them.
Educational Theme: Safety Rules
Stories: Little Red Riding Hood
- Barney Theme Song
- Three Little Monkeys
- The Traffic Light Song
- The Barney Bag
- Buckle Up My Seatbelt
- Walk Across the Street
- The Stranger Song
- Clean Up
- I Love You
- This episode marks:
- The first episode released by Time Life Video.
- The first time Luci appeared without her sister Tina.
- The first episode in which the Barney doll does not wink at the end. Instead, hearts are seen coming out of the doll, similar to those used in Barney in Concert and Caring Means Sharing.
- The first time Baby Bop disappears into sparkly dust when she leaves.
- The first episode in which Barney says his famous catchphrase, Super Dee Duper. He says it during the Barney Says segment.
- This is the first time Baby Bop looses her blankey as she disappears. It happens again at the end of Barney's Great Adventure
- When the "Clean Up" scene from this episode was shown on the Barney Safety video, the close-up shot of Barney's sore tail and the red cross on the toy ambulance were both censored.
- The is the sixth episode where time lapse is used: In the play "Little Red Riding Hood", Luci (as Grandma) runs in fast motion around Derek (as the Big Bad Wolf) to escape. Later, she quickly spins and tangles the wolf in rope. After the play, Barney slipped on a toy ambulance and crashed.
- On the PBS Pledge Drive version of this episode,"The Traffic Light Song", "Walk Across the Street" and the reprise of "The Stranger Song" were omitted due to time constraints, and the Barney Says segment is much different than the original version.