|Barney & Friends Episode|
|Playing It Safe|
|Season 1, Episode 3|
|Air date||April 8, 1992|
|Written by||Stephen White|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
My Family's Just Right for Me
Hop to It!
After the kids play "Three Little Monkeys", Barney and his friends learn all sorts of important safety rules. They even put on a play of "Little Red Riding Hood" to teach Baby Bop about strangers. Later, when Barney slips on a toy and bruises his tail, everyone learns about cleaning up their toys after they're finished playing with them.
Stories: Little Red Riding Hood
- Barney Theme Song
- Three Little Monkeys
- The Traffic Light Song
- The Barney Bag
- Buckle Up My Seatbelt
- Walk Across the Street
- The Stranger Song
- Clean Up
- I Love You
- This episode marks:
- The first episode released by Time Life Video.
- The first episode in which the Barney doll does not wink at the end. Instead, hearts are seen coming out of the doll, similar to those used in Barney in Concert and Caring Means Sharing.
- The first time Baby Bop disappears into sparkly dust when she leaves.
- The first episode in which Barney says his famous catchphrase, "Super Dee Duper". He says it during the Barney Says segment.
- The first episode in which the Barney Says segment contains a song.
- When the scene of this episode was shown in Barney Safety, the close-up shot of Barney's sore tail and the red cross on the toy ambulance were both censored.
- The is the sixth episode where time lapse is used: In the play "Little Red Riding Hood", Luci (as Grandma) runs in fast motion around Derek (as the Big Bad Wolf) to escape. Later, she quickly spins and tangles the wolf in rope. After the play, Barney slipped on a toy ambulance and crashed.
- This is the second time Barney falls down when he slips on a toy ambulance. The first bring the 1989 Barney and the Backyard Gang video "Three Wishes".
- On the PBS Pledge Drive version of this episode,"The Traffic Light Song", "Walk Across the Street" and the reprise of "The Stranger Song" were omitted due to time constraints, and the Barney Says segment is much different than the original version.