|Barney Home Video|
|Release Date|| October 4, 1994 (VHS)|
September 7, 2004 (DVD in North America)
|Available on DVD||Yes|
|Written by||Stephen White|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
Barney Live! In New York City
Barney's Families are Special
Min and Tosha are having a sleepover and Tosha's mom reads them a Imagination Island (story) about a mystical place called Imagination Island but orders them to fall asleep after five minutes. When Barney comes to life, he shows the two girls that they can go on a sailing adventure, if they use their imaginations. With that, Barney mystically takes them on deck aboard a huge ship destined for Imagination Island. Along the way, they meet up with Shawn, Derek, Baby Bop, and BJ. There's just one problem. As everyone's getting close to the island, a storm comes and a huge tidal wave knocks the ship up into some palm trees on the island. While Baby Bop and BJ stay on the ship, Barney and the kids go explore the island. With no civilization on the island, cities or ships patrolling the seas in the distance, Barney and the kids eventually decide that they must find some help to get off the island. After hikes, patrols and searching they eventually find a tropical house. There they meet Professor Tinkerputt, a toy inventor who doesn't like to share his creations and thus moved to Imagination Island to be alone with his toys. Demonstrating his new balloon maker, Barney helps him realize that sharing is a good thing. As a demonstration to sharing Tosha decides to give Tinkerputt her necklace in order to fix a flaw in his machine; thus making it a success. Then Tinkerputt starts sharing many of his creations and agrees to help the explorers find their way off the island. After a moment of thinking Tinkerputt gets an idea of how to get the ship out of the trees. They can fly back with the balloons! Tinkerputt takes control of the ship and the ship flies up to the sky. Hours later the ship reaches back home and after everyone leaves, the ship supposedly heads to a new toy factory away from the island.
- Barney (Costume: David Joyner; Voice: Bob West)
- Baby Bop (Costume: Jeff Ayers; Voice: Carol Farabee / Julie Johnson)
- BJ (Costume: Jeff Brooks; Voice: Patty Wirtz)
- Tosha (Hope Cervantes)
- Min (Pia Manalo)
- Shawn (John David Bennett II)
- Derek (Rickey Carter)
- Professor Erasmus Q. Tinkerputt (Barry Pearl) (debut)
- Tosha's Mom (J.D. Mosley)
- Tosha's Dad (David J. Courtney)
- Tosha's Baby Brothers (sounds/cameo)
- Just Imagine
- Sailing Medley: (Sailing, Sailing, Row, Row, Row Your Boat, Sailing, Sailing (Reprise #1), Blow the Man Down, Sailing, Sailing (Reprise #2), My Blankey Lies Over the Ocean, Sailing, Sailing (Reprise #3), A Sailor Went To Sea, Sea, Sea, and Sailing, Sailing (Reprise #4/Finale))
- That's What an Island Is
- Jungle Adventure
- Tinkerputt's Song
- If You're Happy and You Know It
- Just Imagine (Reprise)
- It's Good to Be Home
Barney Songs That Debuted In This Special
- Due to the 1994 lawsuit, I Love You wasn't performed in this special.
- The home video release claim that the special contains the song "Our Friend Barney Had a Boat". That song was never sung in this special, not even during its original air date.
- This marks the first appearance of Professor Tinkerputt. He would later return in the stage show tour "Barney's Big Surprise" to show Barney, Baby Bop, BJ and the audience his brand new toy factory.
- This special is featured in the exclusive Blockbuster Video Barney's Island Safari (along with the Barney home video Let's Go to the Zoo).
- Some of the songs featured in the special are included on the Barney's Favorites Vol. 2 album. The songs are "Just Imagine", "Jungle Adventure", "The Sailing Medley", "Tinkerputt's Song", and then the reprise of "Just Imagine".
- Although the Barney Theme Song doesn't appear in this special, it is heard as an underscore when Barney fixes the bed and greets Tosha and Min.
- This group (Min, Tosha, Derek and Shawn) also appeared in "May I Help You?".
- In this special, Carol Farabee does Baby Bop's speaking voice, while Julie Johnson does her singing voice.
- This special marks the last regular appearance of Derek. He will later return with Tina as special guests in the Season 3 episode On the Move.
- This special was filmed before Barney Live! In New York City was performed.
- The names that Professor Tinkerputt says incorrectly while writing the guest-book are Ferdinand (Derek), Elvira (Min), Rupert (Shawn), Katrinka (Tosha) and Rex (Barney).