|Barney & Friends Episode|
|Happy Birthday, Barney!|
|Season 1, Episode 12|
|Air date||April 21, 1992|
|Written by||Stephen White|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
What's That Shadow?
After singing "There Are Seven Days in a Week", the kids find out that it's Barney's birthday, and he's turning two hundred million years old, or two dinosaur years. Everyone then plans a special birthday party for Barney, with songs, games, decorations, and, of course, cake. Min and Tina also take time to explain how birthdays are celebrated in the Philippines and Mexico respectively, and they sing birthday songs from both places. After giving Barney her teddy bear, Kathy learns that presents aren't the most important thing of a birthday; it's the thought that counts. Barney makes a special birthday wish for all his friends to join him at the party, and of course, it comes true. Everyone ends by singing I Love You, and they continue to celebrate from there.
- Barney Theme Song
- There Are Seven Days In A Week
- Las Mañanitas
- Maligayang Bati (Filipino Birthday Song)
- Frosting the Cake
- She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain
- Everyone is Special
- Happy Birthday to You
- Hey, Hey, Our Friends Are Here
- I Love You
- In the Hebrew production of this, Baby Bop was seen standing in the classroom corner before she was supposed to magically arrive. And in the end of that version, the frame doesn't freeze.
- Although Hey, Hey, Our Friends Are Here appeared as an underscore when the balloons dropped, it was not sung in either the Spanish or the Hebrew version of this episode. Frosting the Cake was not sung in the Israeli version either, although it appeared as an underscore when the cake came to life.
- Also, the Spanish version excludes Min's Filipino birthday song and Tina's explanation on what "Feliz cumpleaños" means (since this was being dubbed in Spanish to begin with). Instead, Tina says "Feliz cumpleaños, Barney." and it cuts to the cake scene.
- The back cover of the VHS release shows a picture of Barney, Baby Bop, and the kids playing musical chairs as a deleted scene.
- When this episode aired, the Barney Fan Club gave members the chance to send in birthday cards for Barney via Fan Mail.
- This episode marks:
- The third time Baby Bop magically appears.
- The first time "Everyone is Special" is sung, since "Barney in Concert".
- The first time in the series where Barney does not turn back into his plush form at the end. This is also the first episode where no one says goodbye at the end. Instead, everyone continues to celebrate Barney's birthday.
- Min, Tina, Kathy, and Shawn appear in this episode as main characters, while Derek, Michael, and Luci made guest appearances at the end of the episode.
- The art background music from "The Queen of Make-Believe" is played when Barney checks on the kids what they are making.
- It is revealed that Barney is now two hundred million years old (two dinosaur years).
- This episode was later remade with the 2004 Barney & Friends Season 8 episode "It's Your Birthday, Barney!", the 2006 Barney & Friends Season 10 episode "Caring", the 2007 Barney home video "Dino-Mite Birthday" and the Barney live show "Barney's Birthday Bash!".