Barney Says is a segment at the end of most Barney & Friends episodes. In this segment, Barney shows flashbacks of the lessons (shown as images) learned in the episode. In addition, he suggests fun activities that the viewer can do at home to learn more about the episode's topic. For example, in "A Camping We Will Go", Barney suggests the viewer to make a tent and pretend they are in the forest, camping out.
At the beginning of the segment, Barney says like this:
- Hello again to all my friends.
- I'm glad you came to play.
- Our fun and learning never ends.
- Here's what we did today!
At the end of the segment, Barney usually says something along the lines of "And remember, I love you." He sometimes signs off with a different manner, such as "And you know what? I love you." Barney says his rhyme outside of the school. In Seasons 3-8, Barney Says will start with a clip of a child doing something saying "Hey everybody, it's time for Barney Says." Also in Seasons 3-8 and 12, at the end of each segment, Barney pops out on the bottom left corner of the screen and says, "And remember, I love you."
- During Season 1, the end of the episode "turns the page" to the purple words Barney Says upon the titular white sparkling background, then it wipes away, as Barney appears in a playground corner and says his line. The screen then wipes again to the episode clips.
- During Season 2, the end of the episode "fades" to the pink and green words Barney Says upon the enhanced background from before, then it "flies away" to reveal the playground structure, as Barney steps in from the left and says his line. The screen then "flashes" to the episode clips.
- During Season 3, the end of the episode "rotates" to a kid telling the audience, "Hey everybody, it's time for Barney Says." Then the blue and green words Barney Says slide in to the right as Barney approaches in the sparkling background and says his line. The words slide again to the left and reveal the episode clips. At the end of the segments in this season, the clip darkens, and Barney pops out on the bottom left corner of the screen, says his closing line and waves goodbye, as we fade out.
- Throughout Seasons 4-6, the whole thing takes place in construction paper.
- Throughout Season 7,8, and 12 the whole thing is similar to the opening theme for those seasons.
- In Season 9, the segment was replaced with one with a female announcer talking about how the episode encourages kids to explore their world among other things. In addition, she explains how Barney is "a helping hand for growing children," and it appeared in re-runs of Season 7-8.
- In Seasons 10 ,and 11 there was a similar segment called "Let's Play with Barney," where Barney gives commentary on some kids having fun.
- In episodes from Season 13, to fit with the travel theme, an almost identical segment featuring Barney's Travel Book is shown with Barney explaining each episode's journey and explaining more about the country's culture.
- In Season 1-3, original composition plays.
- In Season 4-6, the music was changed. Although the costumes for the show changed for seasons 4, 5, and 6, the costume remained the same for the Barney Says segments.
- In Season 7, 8, and 12 the background music for Barney Says is an instrumental version of "Being Together".
- For 1997-1998 reruns of seasons 1-3, the "Barney Says" segments were omitted.
- "Playing It Safe", "Four Seasons Day", and "1-2-3-4-5 Senses!" are the only episodes to repeat a song that was played earlier during the episode.
- This makes "Home Sweet Homes" have the longest-running Barney Says segment without the use of a song.
- Coincidentally, "Caring Means Sharing", "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy!", and "What's That Shadow?" have the shortest Barney Says segments, running at the same length (18 seconds).
- To top it all off, all the episodes mentioned above are from season 1.