The series, for the most part, was for entertainment, having little to no education incorporated. Some tapes, such as Campfire Sing-Along and Barney Goes to School, are really the only ones of the series to teach educational lessons. All the other tapes only focus on the caring and imagination aspect of Barney. It wasn't until Barney and Friends, when the songs incorporated lessons and morals.
The series made more than $3.5 million. The first three tapes alone sold 50,000 copies. Despite being a huge success in Dallas, the series was only a moderate success throughout the rest of the country.
- The Backyard Show (Pilot) (October 13, 1988) (First appearance of Barney and the human cast)
- Three Wishes (January 27, 1989)
- A Day at the Beach (April 6, 1989) (Last appearances of Michael and Amy's parents, and Jason. This was also Barney's last time being a darker blue-violet color)
- Waiting for Santa (January 6, 1990) (Derek's debut, and Barney's first time being a true purple (actually pinkish-magenta) color)
- Campfire Sing-Along (June 8, 1990) (Only appearance of Jeffrey)
- Barney Goes to School (August 15, 1990) (The last time Barney is performed by David Voss.)
- Barney in Concert (July 29, 1991) (Baby Bop's debut, the first time Barney is performed by David Joyner and the first time Barney is rounder and chubbier.)
- Rock with Barney (Series finale) (October 20, 1991) (Last appearances of Amy and Adam, and the only appearance of Adam's mom. The rest of the gang would stay on for the first two seasons of Barney & Friends)
All eight videos were re-released in 1992, and the last five titles were re-released in 1996. Two of them, Waiting for Santa and Barney in Concert, were also re-released by Lyrick Studios, in 1997 and 2000. There is currently a petition to get the videos, along with early (if not complete) seasons of Barney & Friends, re-released on DVD.
- Barney (Bob West (voice), David Voss (body suit performer, first six videos), David Joyner (body suit performer, last two videos))
- Michael (Brian Eppes)
- Amy (Becky Swonke)
- Tina (Jessica Zucha)
- Luci (Leah Gloria)
- Jason (Salim Grant, only appeared in the first 3 videos)
- Adam (Alexander Jhin, every video except Campfire Sing-Along)
- Derek (Rickey Carter, successor to Jason, starting with Waiting for Santa)
- Jeffrey (Jeffrey Lowe, only appearance was Campfire Sing-Along)
- Baby Bop (Julie Johnson (voice), Dao Knight (body suit performer))
- Michael and Amy's Mom (Sandy Duncan, only appeared in the first 3 videos))
- Michael and Amy's Dad (Bob Reed, only appeared in the first 3 videos)
Music for the Backyard Gang videos was done by Stephen Bates (Baltes) and Philip A. Parker (as with the television series that aired later), while Lory Lazarus wrote the first original song created for Barney, Friends Are Forever.
Barney Songs that Debuted During This Series
Barney Songs that are Bolded and Underlined have been used after 2002, and are still occasionally used on the show.
- Barney Theme Song
- I Love You
- Hey, Hey, The Gang's All Here
- Hello, Hello, Hello
- The Rocket Song
- Friends Are Forever
- Barney is Our Dinosaur
- This is the Way We Walk the Beach
- Swimming, Swimming
- This is the Way We Leave the Beach
- Waiting for Santa
- Winter's Wonderful
- Skating, Skating
- The Elves' Rap
- Let's All Do A Little Tapping
- I Wish There Was School Every Day
- There Are Seven Days
- The Alphabet Chant
- The Weather Riddle Song
- The Shape Song
- Hug a Color
- What I Want to Be
- Three Bears Rap
- The Goodbye Song
- Everyone is Special
- Backyard Gang Rap
- We are Barney and the Backyard Gang
- Baby Bop's Song
- Bubble, Bubble Bath
- Help Protect the Earth
- Me and My Teddy
- There are Fifty Stars on Our Flag
- I Can Laugh
- Good Manners
- In the first five videos, "I Love You" was sung at the beginning. However, it was sung at the end of Barney Goes to School and Barney in Concert and is frequently sung at the end of Barney & Friends.
- In November 1990, The Disney Channel aired episodes from the Backyard Gang series as part of its "Lunch Box" program.
- Related merchandise to the Backyard Gang videos include read-along books (of the first three videos) and tape sets (of the entire series).
- The earlier videos from 1988 and 1989 featured actress Sandy Duncan as Michael and Amy's mother.
- Because the majority of the gang (except for Michael and Amy) meet Barney for the first time in A Day at the Beach, it takes place before The Backyard Show.
- The first three videos of the series featured Barney with a slightly deeper voice, perhaps larger eyes, a visible red tongue (until 1991), and a much darker color of purple (which turned more magenta as the series went on).
- Barney & Friends - The TV series that came after this video series 1992–present.