|Barney & Friends|
|Season 1, Episode 19|
|Air date||April 30, 1992|
|Written by||Mark S. Bernthal|
|Directed by||Jim Rowley|
When I Grow Up...
Practice Makes Music
Luci introduces her new friend Patty (who is blind) to Barney, Michael, Tina, and Kathy. Patty comments that a beautiful day can be experienced through more of one's senses than just sight. Michael's class is studying the five senses, which leads to fun songs and activities related to each of them. Perhaps most important, Patty shows the group that a child with blindness can do many things for him/herself and play right along with the others. Patty teaches the kids a rhyme and its corresponding hand movements...and she reads a story to Kathy, using braille.
Educational Theme: The Five Senses and Differences
Stories: "Kitty Caught a Caterpillar" by Jack Prelutsky
- Barney Theme Song
- Miss Mary Mack
- The Five Senses Song
- I Can Laugh
- Do Your Ears Hang Low?
- The Finger Band
- Boom, Boom, Ain't It Great to Be Crazy?
- The Bear Hunt
- I Love You
- Before Barney starts his "Barney Says" segment, the ending of the "Five Senses Song" is sung.
- The "blindfold taste-test" would later be used in "Barney's Sense-Sational Day" and "Five Kinds of Fun!".
- This was the first time "Boom, Boom, Ain't it Great to Be Crazy?" was sung normally.
- This group (Derek, Michael, Tina, Luci, and Kathy) also appeared in "My Family's Just Right for Me".
- This is the first time a handicapped person appears on the show.
- It is revealed that Kathy hasn't learned to read stories but not until she reads one with Min in "I Can Do That!" called "Mama, Do You Love Me?".
- "Kitty Caught a Caterpillar" was taken from a poem compilation book called "Ride a Purple Pelican".
- Luci wears the same outfit in Hola, Mexico!, Michael wears the same shirt in Hop to It!, and Tina wears the same shirt in Alphabet Soup! (with a dress) and The Queen of Make-Believe.